Conference participation abroad
International conferences provide great opportunities for networking within the scientific community. They allow young researchers to gain insights into state-of-the-art research and to present their own research findings on the international scientific stage. The MIN Graduate Center provides funding to enable doctoral researchers to attend international conferences.
For interesting news about conferences you can join our newsletter.
New calls will be announced here as well as in the MIN Graduate Center newsletter.
Normally, grants are announced twice a year:
- January 15 - funding starts from February 15 at the earliest
- July 15 - funding begins no earlier than August 15.
Please note: If your conference takes place shortly before the deadline, you may exceptionally apply to us after the conference has taken place. In this case, please consult with us and note that in the case of a positive response, original documents (boarding pass, hotel bill, etc.) must be submitted for payment processing!
What is promoted?
(Online) conference visit with relevant relation to the doctoral project abroad with a duration of up to five days:
- Actual travel and accommodation costs incurred (no per diem) in accordance with UHH's travel expense claim guidelines, reimbursed upon return;
- Conference fees will be reimbursed for participation in digital conferences.
- Visa fees will not be reimbursed.
There is no possibility to grant advances.
What documents must be submitted?
- Application form (to be completed in Geventis)
- Letter of motivation outlining the relevance of the conference to the PhD and the expected benefits of attending;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter of recommendation by your supervisor at UHH explaining why you should take advantage of a conference or research visit;
- Certificate of enrollment;
- Short description of your own technical contribution (max. 200 words);
- Confirmation of acceptance of contribution (can be submitted later in individual cases);
- Preliminary conference program;
Information on expected flight and accommodation costs (if nothing has been booked yet: Links to corresponding cost estimates on search portals such as booking.com are sufficient).
We accept applications in German or in English. Please upload your complete application documents in Geventis.
Before the Travel
- Coaching before the conference
- Before the trip, we offer about 20 minutes of coaching by our team, which we see as a funding requirement. Here, additional questions and suggestions can be discussed so that they are best prepared for the conference.
- The travel form
After the Travel
How does the reimbursement of costs work ?
Please send your original documents with your Letter of Acceptance by mail to:
- firstname.lastname@example.org(mingsinternational"AT"uni-hamburg.de) or
- MIN Graduiertenzentrum, Universität Hamburg, Welckerstraße 8, 20354 Hamburg
After you have completed your trip, please submit an invoice (for non-employees of UHH) or the settlement form (for employees at UHH) with accompanying original documents and your field report within two weeks
How to write the report ?
We would like to know if your stay was productive, if you made new contacts in your research area, if you would apply for this funding again, etc.
Please use this template for your field report and include one to three pictures to illustrate it. Please send us your report together with the accounting documents within two weeks after your return.
How do I apply ?
The application runs exclusively through Geventis, there the application form can be filled out and uploaded again individually together with other necessary documents.
- Who is eligible ?
- All admitted and enrolled PhD students of the MIN Faculty of the University of Hamburg can apply for funding.
- The doctoral student does not have any alternative funding in the context of this conference visit in prospect; internal institutes, facilities and possible third party funders are to be approached first.
- Preference will be given to doctoral students presenting their own paper at a conference.
- How is the decision made ?
- The MIN board of directors decides on the funding. Within one month, the applicant can expect a response.
- Selection criteria include:
- the quality of the application;
- the embedding of the conference topic in the doctoral thesis;
- whether other sources of funding have been exhausted;
- the financial necessity of the funding.
- Can I submit missing documents ?
- Missing documents can be submitted to email@example.com - under consideration of the respective deadline and consultation.
- Can I apply only once ?
- It is possible to apply multiple times for the same conference, provided that the deadlines are before the event.
- Application for multiple conferences is also possible.