Research stays abroad
In professional as well as personal terms, time spent abroad and experience in international research environments is always enriching. The MIN Graduate Center promotes international mobility of doctoral researchers and encourages them to write their own story in an international research context. Find out more about the conditions and requirements below.
New calls will be announced here as well as in the MIN Graduate Center newsletter.
Normally, grants are announced twice a year:
- February 15 - funding starts from March 15 at the earliest.
- August 15 - funding starts from September 15 at the earliest.
If your research stay takes place shortly before the deadline, you may exceptionally apply to us after the deadline. In this case, please contact us and note that in the case of a positive response, original documents (boarding card, hotel bill, etc.) must be submitted for payment processing!
What is promoted?
Research stays with relevant reference to the doctoral topic for a maximum duration of two months:
- Actual travel and accommodation costs incurred (no per diem) in accordance with UHH's travel expense guidelines, reimbursed upon return;
- Visa fees cannot be reimbursed.
There is no possibility to grant advances.
Which documents must be submitted?
- Application (to be completed in Geventis);
- Letter of motivation outlining the relevance of the research stay for the doctorate as well as the expected benefits (max. 2 pages);
- Curriculum vitae;
- Letter of recommendation from the supervisor at UHH explaining why you should take advantage of a research stay;
- Statement from the on-site supervisor confirming that the project undertaken can be carried out;
- Certificate of enrollment;
- Language certificate English or national language (level B2);
- Details of expected flight and accommodation costs (if nothing has been booked yet: Links to corresponding cost estimates on search portals such as booking.com are sufficient).
We accept applications in German and in English. Please upload application documents in Geventis individually.
After the Travel
How does the reimbusement of costs work ?
Please send your original documents with your Letter of Acceptance by mail to:
- email@example.com(mingsinternational"AT"uni-hamburg.de) or
- MIN Graduiertenzentrum, Universität Hamburg, Welckerstraße 8, 20354 Hamburg
After you have completed your trip, please submit an invoice (for non-employees of UHH) or the settlement form (for employees at UHH) with accompanying original documents and your field report within two weeks
How to write the report ?
We would like to know if your stay was productive, if you made new contacts in your research area, if you would apply for this funding again, etc.
Please use this template for your field report and include one to three pictures to illustrate it. Please send us your report together with the accounting documents within two weeks after your return.
- How do I apply ?
- The application runs exclusively through Geventis, where the application form can be filled out and uploaded again individually together with other necessary documents.
- Who is eligible to apply ?
- All admitted and enrolled doctoral students of the MIN faculty of the University of Hamburg can apply for the funding.
- The doctoral student does not have any other funding or house funding for mobility and stay in the context of this conference visit in prospect;
- Internal institutes, institutions and possible third party funders (DAAD scholarship database) are to be approached first.
- Efforts to raise alternative funds must be listed in the application.
- How is the decision made ?
- The MIN board decides on the funding. Within one month the applicant can expect an answer.
- Selection criteria are among others:
- the quality of the application;
- the embedding of the research topic in the doctorate;
- whether other sources of funding have been exhausted;
- the financial necessity of the funding.
- Can I submit missing documents ?
- Missing documents can be submitted later - under consideration of the respective deadline and with consultation - to firstname.lastname@example.org(mingsinternational"AT"uni-hamburg.de).