The MIN Graduate Center offers insight visits for international applicants interested in commencing their doctoral studies at the MIN faculty of Universität Hamburg. These visits provide the opportunity to clarify uncertainties about the application process and requirements for doctoral research at MIN faculty. Further, the applicant will get familiar with the faculty and the city and get to know interdisciplinary research areas at the university.
The objectives of an insight visit are:
- exploring possibilities for your doctoral research at the MIN faculty of the Universität Hamburg;
- discussing the proposed research topic with your potential supervisor;
- familiarization with the professional and informal environment;
- first joint research activities.
What will be funded?
An insight stay with the MIN faculty at Universität Hamburg to explore the possibility of doing your doctoral studies in Hamburg, with a maximum duration of one month:
- a lump sum to cover your travel to and from Hamburg;
- a lump sum to cover your accommodation in Hamburg up to 800 € for a complete month.
Please contact MIN Graduate Center to enquire about the exact rate of travel and accommodation funding for your specific situation. For orientation you may have a look at this document (in German), the leftmost column with lump sums according to the country of origin.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible for funding if you
- are a graduate from a university abroad,
- currently prepare your doctoral research and
- are not already accepted or enrolled as a doctoral researchers at another German university.
The proposal needs the support of a member of MIN Faculty at UHH who will be your supervisor while you are in Hamburg. The topic of your prospective doctoral thesis as well as funding options for your future doctoral studies need to be clarified before you start your insight visit.
Proposals can only be submitted by members of the MIN faculty of Universität Hamburg.
What documents shall be submitted?
- Application form;
- Letter of motivation including purpose and benefits of the planned insight visit, a short program, schedule or overview of planned activities as well as options for funding the prospective doctoral research (max. 2 pages);
- invitation letter/statement of the supervisor from MIN faculty that assesses the suitability of the applicant;
- short abstract of the proposed dissertation topic;
- estimated travel budget including flight and accommodation costs (if you have not booked yet, please include a link to booking portal with expected prices, for example booking.com).
We accept applications in both English and German.
How to submit an application?
The application can be submited by your supervisor to firstname.lastname@example.org(mings"AT"uni-hamburg.de) on an ongoing basis. We are usually able to process your application within two to four weeks.
How to receive your reimbursement?
After your arrival in Hamburg, please submit a confirmation of your supervisor at MIN faculty in which he/she confirms that you are able to complete the insight visit as planned, together with related original documents. We will then arrange the payment of the scholarship. When you have returned to your home country, please also send us a short report about your experience in Hamburg.
How to write a report?
To be able to evaluate and continuously improve our processes as well as to collect data on our funding offers, and of course to inspire more doctoral researchers to go abroad, we require that you write a short report after your return. Please include information on whether your stay was insightful, whether you have found any new professional contacts, whether you intend to pursue your doctoral studies in Hamburg after your insight visit et cetera.
Please use this template when writing your report and include one to three pictures to illustrate your report. Please submit the report within two weeks after your return alongside with the reimbursement documents.