Conference participation abroad
International conferences provide great opportunities for networking within the scientific community. They allow young researchers to gain insights into state-of-the-art research and to present their own research findings on the international scientific stage. The MIN Graduate School provides funding to enable doctoral researchers to attend international conferences.
What will be funded?
Attending a conference abroad which is substantially relevant for the topic of your thesis, with a maximum duration of 5 days:
- the actual costs for travel and accomodation (no daily allowance for other costs) according to the UHH travel costs reimbursement guidelines, compensated after your return;
- conference and visa fees cannot be reimbursed;
- advance payments can unfortunately not be granted.
Who is eligible?
- All doctoral candidates at MIN faculty are eligible for funding.
- Only those doctoral canidates will be considered who do not have any other internal or external funds for the conference participation; other funding opportunities must be considered prior to submitting the application at MINGS.
- Applicants must present their own research findings at the conference (talk or poster presentation).
What documents shall be submitted?
- Application form (download and submission via Geventis);
- motivation letter explaining the relevance of the conference to your doctoral research and the expected benefits;
- letter of recommendation from your UHH supervisor in which he/she states reasons for the necessity of the conference participation;
- enrollment certificate;
- abstract of your conference contribution;
- confirmation that your conference contribution has been accepted (can be submitted later in certain cases);
- preliminary conference program;
- estimated travel budget including flight and accommodation costs (if you have not booked yet, please include a link to booking portal with expected prices, for example booking.com).
We accept applications in both English and German. Please upload your complete application in Geventis.
What are the deadlines?
We will announce the next call for applications on our website and in our MINGS newsletter. Generally, we accept applications twice a year:
- January 15 – for funding starting February 15 or later
- July 15 – for funding starting August 15 or later
If the conference takes place shortly before the deadline, you can exceptionally apply for funding after the conference has taken place. In this case, please contact us in advance and note that in case of a positive decision, original documents (boarding card, hotel receipt etc.) must be submitted for payment processing.
How to submit an application?
The application shall be submitted via Geventis where you can download the application form and upon completion, together with other documents, upload your application as separate files. Please find a detailed guide on how to register in Geventis, as well as our application guideline under “Downloads”.
How to receive your reimbursement?
Please send the original documents together with your acceptance letter via mail to:
MIN Graduiertenschule, Universität Hamburg, Welckerstraße 8, 20354 Hamburg.
After you have finished your research stay, please submit an invoice (for non-employees of the UHH) or the travel expense claim (for employees of the UHH) together with related original documents and your experience report within two weeks.
How to write a report?
To be able to evaluate and continuously improve our processes as well as to collect data on our funding offers, and of course to inspire more doctoral researchers to go abroad, we require that you write a short report after your return. Please include information on whether your stay was insightful, whether you have found any new professional contacts, whether you would apply for this funding again et cetera.
Please use this template when writing your report and include one to three pictures to illustrate your report. Please submit your report within two weeks after your return alongside with the reimbursement documents.