Due to the current situation, Buddy activities of the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences of Universität Hamburg will be carried out via e-mail exchange or a virtual meeting using a computer conferencing program. This also means that the Welcome Buddy will not be able to help Incomings from abroad with all the tasks suggested on our websites that require a meeting in person until further notice.
We recommend that you read the updates at: Coronavirus FAQ and its impact on Universität Hamburg.
The Buddy program for doctoral researchers of MIN Faculty aims to help prospective, newly enrolled international doctoral researchers or visiting scholars to get a good start with their doctorate or their research stay and everyday life in Hamburg. For this reason, we match up each doctoral researcher from abroad (Incoming Buddy) with a current Hamburg doctoral researcher (Welcome Buddy) who can make the international doctoral researcher’s arrival in Hamburg easier!
As a Buddy you can...
- take part in a cultural exchange,
- get to know a new language and a new lifestyle and
- find new friends from all over the world
The buddy program can be approved as one part of the CIC (Certificate Intercultural Competence). You will receive an individual certificate for extracurricular activities or voluntary work and can use it for your application for a comprehensive Certificate Intercultural Competence. For details, check the PIASTA website.
What are the responsibilities of a Welcome Buddy?
The Welcome Buddy supports the Incoming Buddy for example in the following ways:
- answer questions prior to the arrival via Email
- pick them up from the airport/train station on their arrival
- help them to find their ways around Hamburg and the Campus
- help them out with the necessary official administrative paper work
In this brochure, you find all information on first steps and to-dos in Hamburg. As a Welcome Buddy you can support your Incoming Buddy on these.
These are not your responsibilities as a Welcome Buddy:
- Find accommodation for your buddy
- support the visa application process
- Provide information on information on application and immatriculation processes at Universität Hamburg
- Give information on doctoral researches
Of course we do not expect that you offer a round-the-clock support. It is for you to decide if and how much you involve yur (incoming) buddy into your everyday life. You will not become an advisor on general questions on study and life. Whenever you feel overstrained, do not hesitate to contact us for further support.
What can the Incoming Buddies expect?
Most of the doctoral researchers taking part in the Buddy Program also spent a year abroad and know which questions you might have during your stay in Hamburg. A Welcome Buddy can support you for example in the following ways:
- answer questions prior to your arrival via Email
- pick you up from the airport/train station on your arrival
- help you out to find your ways around Hamburg and the Campus
- support you with the necessary administrative paper work
Please keep in mind that a Welcome Buddy cannot support you by
- finding accommodation for you
- supporting your visa application process
- providing information on application and immatriculation processes or on doctoral researches
Whenever you need information on the topics mentioned above, please get in touch with the PIASTA.
In this brochure, you find all information on your first steps and to-dos in Hamburg.
If you would like to improve your German you can do so in these German language courses.
Who can apply?
Incoming Buddies: The Buddy Program for the doctoral researchers of the Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences (MIN Faculty) focuses on the target group "prospective and new doctoral researchers” from abroad. Guest researchers may also register for this program.
Welcome Buddies: All registered doctoral researchers of MIN Faculty can sign up for the Buddy Program to support prospective and MIN doctoral researchers from abroad.
How to sign up?
International doctoral researchers who are searching for a Welcome Buddy to help them to get a good start with their doctorate and everyday life in Hamburg may sign up here.
Doctoral researchers currently enrolled at MIN faculty who want to welcome a doctoral researcher from abroad may sign up here.
We will contact you as soon as we have found a Buddy for you. For further queries, please contact buddy.min"AT"uni-hamburg.de