Guidelines and Procedures
Preparing for visiting academics
1. Before the visiting academic’s arrival
The following points must be clarified before the visiting academic arrives in Hamburg:
- academic purpose of the visit (research, further training/specialization, professorship, teaching)
- visa for the visiting academic
- work status (scholarship holder, employee, guest without financial support)
- academic integration and support
- availability of the equipment and materials needed for the research project
- financing for the visit
- health and liability insurance
- childcare (if the visiting academic is being accompanied by family)
Prior to their arrival, visiting academics can contact the Hamburg Welcome Center by email or telephone to obtain general information about Hamburg and to arrange an appointment. The service for international academics is free of charge.
Universität Hamburg’s internal service for visiting academics provides orientation and guidance in all matters related to academic visits at Universität Hamburg.
2. Funding opportunities for visiting academics
A researcher from abroad who plans to carry out a research stay at Universität Hamburg and is looking for a research fellowship or funding program may check the following websites.
- Alexander von Humbold Check for programs for researchers coming to Germany.
- Funding for a DAAD research stay at Universität Hamburg:
- DFG Programs and Funding:
- EURAXESS. Germany provides information on funding options, job offers, and issues relating to mobility for international researchers wishing to come to Germany for an academic visit.
- Fulbright Programs:
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions: This Research Fellowship Programme of the European Commission supports researchers at all stages of their careers, irrespective of nationality.
- Research Exchanges of UHH: Research stays for up to one month (or shorter) at an international partner university of Universität Hamburg.
3. Practical guide for visiting researchers
Visiting researchers can also consult the Practical Guide for Visiting Researchers. This contains important information on the city of Hamburg, obtaining a visa for your academic visit, and formalities in Germany such as registering with the local authorities, obtaining residence and work permits, taking out insurance, opening a bank account, and finding accommodation, etc.
4. Guidelines for ensuring good scientific practice
Academic hosts must ensure that visiting academics are aware of Universität Hamburg's guidelines for ensuring good scientific practice.
Visiting academics may pick up a Welcome Package for International Visitors from the Hamburg Welcome Center.
Hamburg Welcome Center